top of page

Help for households

The Government have published details of lots of support available to low-income households. To See what support is available to help with the cost of living, read below or go directly to the website.

Cost of Living Payments

You might be eligible for additional payments if you qualify for specific benefits or tax credits, such as:

  • Cost of Living payment (£650): If you meet the criteria and receive a low-income benefit or tax credit, such as Universal Credit, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit, and Child Tax Credit.

  • Disability Cost of Living payment (£150): If you receive a qualifying disability benefit, such as Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP), or War Pension Mobility Supplement.

  • Pensioner Cost of Living payment (£300): If you are entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment.

For additional details, check out the UK Government website.

Household support fund

A fund of £1.5 billion has been allocated to assist the most vulnerable individuals with crucial daily expenses like energy bills. To determine your eligibility for this support, reach out to your Local Authority.

Additionally, Local Authorities can distribute food vouchers to families during school holidays.


Visit the this page on the UK Government website for additional details.

Council tax rebate

If you live in Bands A-D in England you should get £150 back from your Council Tax bill but you need to pay the bill by direct debit otherwise you may not receive this rebate.

For more information click here.

Budgeting loans

You may be eligible for a budgeting loan if you’ve been on certain benefits for 6 months. The good news is, you only have to pay back the amount you borrow, and repayments are taken automatically from your benefits.


A Budgeting Loan can help pay for:

  • furniture or household items (for example, washing machines or other ‘white goods’)

  • clothes or footwear

  • rent in advance

  • costs linked to moving house

  • maintenance, improvements or security for your home

  • travelling costs within the UK

  • costs linked to getting a new job

  • maternity costs

  • funeral costs

  • repaying hire purchase loans

  • repaying loans taken for the above items

To check if you’re eligible visit the UK Government website page on budgeting loans.

Cheaper phone and broadband

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit, and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband.

You may be eligible to move on to a social tariff.

To find out more if your current provider offers a social tariff, read Ofcom's advice on social tariffs.  

Assistance with rent payments

You may be able to get help with all or part of your rent. What you will get will depend on whether you rent privately or from a council or housing association.


For more information view the UK Government website's Benefits Calculators.

Assistance with paying your water bills

Many water companies run hardship schemes or fund independent charitable trusts which can help you pay your bills.


For help with your water bills, click here.

Benefits - are you claiming everything you're entitled to?

Check the links below to learn more about each benefit:

Check with your Local Authority website to see if you are eligible for additional Housing costs or Council tax support or try our benefits calculator.

Assistance with travel costs

Did you know the Government provide help with transport costs? To help people with cost of living pressures and save on everyday travel costs, the government is extending the £2 bus fare cap on most routes in England outside London until the end of December 2024. 


Additionally if you're on Universal Credit you may be eligible for a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card.

Check the UK Government website to see if you are eligible.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get £150 off your electricity bill for winter 2023 to 2024 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The money is not paid to you - it’s a one-off discount applied to your electricity bill between early October 2023 and 31 March 2024.

You’ll usually get the discount automatically if you’re eligible. You’ll get a confirmation letter by early January 2024. 

If you do not get a letter and you think you’re eligible, you must contact the Warm Home Discount Scheme before 29 February 2024. Read more.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born before 25 September 1957 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

The amount you get includes a ‘Pensioner Cost of Living Payment’. This is between £150 and £300. You’ll get this extra amount in winter 2023 to 2024. This is in addition to any other Cost of Living Payments you get with your benefit or tax credits.

Find out more here.

Cold Weather Payment

You may get Cold Weather Payments if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest

You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.

You’ll get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November 2023 and 31 March 2024.

Cold Weather Payments are different to Winter Fuel Payments.

Energy Bills Support Scheme Discount

You may be able to get up to £400 discount support this winter. For more information visit the UK Government page on getting the energy bills support scheme discount.

bottom of page